Growth Marketing Director / Head of Growth
We’re building the future of reading and listening. Join us.
Serial Box creates short, immersive stories that you can listen to or read. We produce completely original series and tell official new stories around storyworlds like BBC's Orphan Black and characters like Marvel's Black Panther and Jessica Jones.
Our investors have backed companies like Gimlet, Glossier, Slate, Warby Parker, Hotel Tonight, Outdoor Voices. We’ve been featured in The New York Times, Wired, NPR, The Hollywood Reporter, Deadline, Variety, and Forbes.
- "Like Game of Thrones but for your ears"—i09
- "The HBO of reading"—NPR
- "Best of the year"—Apple
- "Must-have app"—Buzzfeed
About the role:
Serial Box is currently looking for a data-driven, hands-on person to oversee customer acquisition and retention. We’re in high-growth mode, and looking to grow our base responsibly, focusing on engagement and retention metrics and managing CAC.
You’ll build the most magical and efficient marketing engine in the industry. You’ll help develop our growth strategy and pursue it, collaborating with our brand, content and title marketing sub-teams, and our business development sub-team. You’ll manage the operation of all direct-response advertising efforts, and measure campaign performance. In addition, you’ll contribute to driving LTV by developing, executing, and iterating on cross-sell/up-sell initiatives and retention strategies to drive brand loyalty and evangelism.
What you’ll do:
- OVERSEE THE WHOLE ENCHILADA: Oversee and continuously develop our entire customer acquisition program, thoughtfully prioritizing and rigorously testing all marketing initiatives; so you’ll need to optimize the effectiveness of existing efforts and roll out tests across new channels, creatives, and messaging strategies while managing towards CPA and payback goals
- GROW ORGANICALLY: Develop and test strategies to boost organic growth including referral marketing, email marketing (with a focus on the perfect cadence), ambassador/affiliate programs, ASO/SEO
- RETAIN: Own KPIs relating to customer retention with an eye towards continually improving churn and increasing LTV, with a focus on emails, push notifications, and remarketing
- OPTIMIZE THE FUNNEL: Partner with product and tech to optimize conversion and retention of listeners and readers on our website and app, including landing pages and onboarding experience
- GROW WITH PAID MEDIA: Recommend budgets and channels to achieve marketing goals; run paid social and search campaigns yourself
- MARKET PRODUCTS: Partner with marketing and product team members to pilot new features within our app
- BUILD AWARENESS: Collaborate with marketing to develop strategies for title launches to drive awareness among our current base and expand Serial Box’s acquisition efforts to new customer segments
- BUILD MODELS: Own budgeting and forecasting process for growth pillar and partner closely with finance to actualize performance and create reliable forecasting models
- MANAGE: Coach and develop current team and build a best-in-class growth marketing team as our company grows
Who you are:
- 3-10 years of experience in direct-to-consumer marketing, ideally at a company that sells access to digital content
- You have hands-on channel management experience, from online acquisition channels down to pixel placement management
- You are measurement-obsessed and proud to be a power user of Mixpanel, Tableau, Google Analytics, Excel
- You’ll be joining a lean and growing startup, so you should thrive in an early stage start-up environment, learn fast, be organized and detail-oriented, and maintain an "all-hands-on-deck" attitude. You're really smart and scrappy, but humble and secure, funny, thoughtful, creative, driven and kind.
- You’ve managed multi-million dollar marketing budgets and have experience with media allocation, managing vendors and building growth forecasts
- You’re extremely organized, have excellent communication skills, and are a natural self-starter
- You love working in a collaborative environment, want to have a big impact on a growing company, and help define the future of audio and written storytelling.
This is a FT staff position, based in Manhattan. Serial Box offers an array of benefits including competitive salaries, stock options, health, dental, vision, commuter benefits, health/wellness benefits, and a generous vacation policy. We’re committed to diversity of all kinds — not just on our team, but in our writers rooms and in the stories we bring to listeners and readers. Also, we only hire extremely welcoming, weird, and witty people.
Serial Box is a digital entertainment platform (audio and reading) based in NYC. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Serial Box not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.